Often with large migration projects, there is the difficulty of getting a high-level view of your current estate. The readiness reports provide a view to determine which users are ready to be migrated and which applications are outstanding for a Blueprint or Deployment Unit. MigrationStudio has three built in readiness reports:
- User Readiness by Blueprint
- User Readiness
Within these reports, the ‘What if Options’ provide the ability to forecast future readiness.
You could use the ‘What if Options’ to answer questions such as…
- What if all the applications in the Packaging queue were ready?
- What if all the top 10 most requested applications were ready?
- What if Citrix Apps were taken out of Scope?
1. User Readiness by Blueprint
This report is used when you need to run a readiness report of your users on a Blueprint level, to determine which Blueprints are closest to being ready for Migration.
To run this report:
- Switch to the ‘Reports’ (1) tab and choose ‘User Readiness by Blueprint’ (2). You can also launch from User Migration -> Reports -> Blueprint – Users Readiness Report
- By default if a folder is ticked the report will list each Blueprint in that folder. To run a report on the folder itself select ‘Ticked Folders and ticked Blueprints only’ or ‘Ticked Folder only, ignore ticked Blueprints’ from the blueprint selector drop down
- From the left side of the report, select the ‘Blueprints /Folder’ (1) and click the ‘Run Readiness Report’ (2) button. In the screenshot below, Folders Departments -> Services have been ticked and ‘Services’ (3) selected from the top half of the grid
- Within the ‘Executive Summary’ (4) tab below the main grid, you will be presented with a high-level view of the following for the selected Blueprint/folder:
- Total number of users within the selected Blueprint
- Number and percentage of Users Ready to be Migrated
- Number of Users with Outstanding applications
- Number of Applications Requested
- Number and percentage of Applications ready
- Click on ‘AppTracker’ tab (1) to view the apps for the selected blueprint/folder
- This will show you the application readiness and list them in order of ‘observed usage’ (2)
- This list can be exported for further analysis or you can select and highlight the applications on the grid, copy their Ids to use for bulk updating the applications in the AppTracker section
- Click on ‘User Migration’ (1) to view the users in the selected blueprint/folder
- Here we can see the list of all the users that are ‘Ready to be migrated (Green) and users who are not ready (Amber)’ (2)
- The list can be exported, filtered, pivoted etc and the MigrationIds can be selected and copied to the clipboard for bulk updating in the User Migration section
- To filter the grid to only show users who are ready to be migrated, can then be achieved by clicking on the ‘funnel’ (3) symbol next to User Readiness and selecting 100%
- If you need to run more reports on these users, click on ‘Select All’ (1) -> right click and select ‘Copy MigrationId’ (2)
- Open another browser tab, log into MigrationStudio and click on User Migration
- To filter the grid to show the users who are ready for your selected department/Blueprint, click on User Segments -> Scroll down to Search Database By -> Select MigrationId
- Paste in the MigrationIds copied earlier and click search, this will display all your users who are ready to be migrated
What If Options?
- The What if Option function is used to model the impact on application readiness by bringing the selected application, or applications currently in an app process such as UAT forward
- Click on the ‘AppTracker’ (1) tab, select the first application that is coloured amber, right-click and choose ‘What If Ready?’ option (2) from the context menu
- In the screenshot below for example, ‘2568 CamStudio CamStudio Lossless Codec,2572 Carmd CarMD Vehicle Health System and apps currently in UAT’ (3) have been brought forward to see the impact on application readiness. If you click on the executive summary, you will see the applications completed would have increased in number and percentage.
- The readiness is updated based on the additional apps being marked as ‘What if ready’
- To clear the ‘What If Apps were Ready?’
- Simply click on the ‘X’ next to the apps, or untick your selection from the What if Processes were ready
- Click on the ‘Run Readiness Report’, and select the Blueprint in the top half to update the tabs in the bottom half of the screen
2. User Readiness Report
To run this report
- Switch to the ‘User Migration’ (1) tab
- Select all the ‘users on the User Migration grid’ (2) or manually select a subset of users you want to run the report against
- Click ‘Reports’ (3) -> ‘Users Readiness Report’ (4)
- The report will pop-up and run against the selected users
- The Executive summary tab below the main grid will show a high-level view:
- Click on ‘AppTracker’ tab to display the list of all applications
- Within this section you can apply the same ‘What If Options’ function described in the previous report to model the impact on application readiness
3. Deployment Unit Readiness
This report is used when you need to run an individual readiness report of your users on in a deployment unit, to determine which deployment units are closest to being ready for Migration.
To run this report:
- Switch to the ‘Reports’ (1) tab and choose ‘Deployment Unit Readiness’ (2)
- Alternatively, you can also launch this by clicking on ‘Deployment Units’ (1) tab, ‘Select the deployment unit from the grid’ (2) on which to run the report-> Click on ‘Reports’ (3) and scroll down to ‘DU -Users Readiness Report’ (4)
- The report will pop-up and run against the deployment unit selected
- Here you will see the tabs ‘Executive summary, AppTracker and User Migration’ (1) in the bottom half of the grid like previous reports and can be utilised in the same way
- The ‘What If Options’ (2) is also available as described in the User readiness by Blueprint report