TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Devices module follows the same Common Grid Layout format as the Applications, Users, Deployment Units, Defects and Bespoke modules. A description of the Common Grid Functionality can be found here
How to see Application, User Migration, Mailbox count for each device on the grid
From the Link Counts section of the Ribbon,
- click on Applications, User Migrations, Mailbox or Bespoke
- Note the count column that appears on the grid
How to Manually create a New Device
Devices are generally created using Connectors, for example AD, SCCM, SysTrack, SNOW etc. However, if necessary, it is possible to manually create new devices. Note, a universal license will be required for each new device added to the database.
Click the New button in the Toolbar
Enter the HostName, Operating System and Description
The HostName is mandatory
Choose the Process and Sub Process that the device will be assigned to. The defaults will already be selected.
The Context Menu (Right Click on the Grid) provides multi select functionality to the grid. It is possible to select one item using the left click of the mouse, or multiple items using a combination of ctrl or shift and left click. Once selected Right Click the mouse for the Context Menu.
- Open Details: show the details tab for one or many items. It is possible to open in a new Tab or new Window.
- Links: Allows adding Application, User Migration, Bespoke links to each Device. See below for more detail
- New Note: Add Note information to one or many Devices. These notes are displayed in the Details Tab
- New Task: Create a New Task for the Device. Tasks will appear in the Task Tab as well as the Tasks Module
- Move to Process: Change the Process and Sub Process of one or many Devices
- Deployment Units: Add and Remove Deployment information for Devices. See below for detail on overriding Deployment Information
- Blueprints: Add or Remove Blueprints for Devices. See Blueprints for info
- Teams: Assign team members to Devices. This could be engineers, delegates etc
- Update Fields: Bulk update Text, Dropdown and Date fields from the Details Tab
- Update Custom Form: Bulk update Custom Form information for multiple Devices
- Copy: Bulk copy one or many fields. See below
- Lock: Lock and Unlock Devices. Locking will stop any changes and updates to the User Migration
- Archive: Place Devices into an Archived state. These Devices will only be visible using the Segments\Other Filters\Archived view from the Ribbon
- Delete: Mark Devices for permanent deletion. These Devices will be deleted after a set period of time. Until permanent deletion they can be viewed using the Segments\Other Filters\Deleted view and can then be Undeleted using the context menu
Deployment Unit information will only be available on the context menu if it is enabled in Administration\Devices\Self Schedule & DU
How to Override Deployment Unit Information
The Context menu can be used to Add and Remove a Deployment Unit for a Device. Multiple Devices can be added to and removed from Deployment Units using the context menu.
Additionally, it is possible to override Deployment Unit information for one or many Devices by selecting Override Migration Slot
This functionality should only be used as an exception when it is absolutely necessary to hand craft a particular migration
- Select the information that needs to be overridden by using the checkboxes to the right. Be careful as this will override information for all of the Devices selected.
- Change the information you wish to set for all Devices selected
- Click Update
How to bulk copy field information from the Grid
Using the Right Click Context menu, it is possible to copy multiple pieces of information for multiple Devices. After clicking Copy in the context menu, select the fields to be copied to the Clipboard
Note: The Copy button has three additional choices: -Copy No Header -Copy Comma Delimited -Copy Space Delimited
Adding Links to Applications, Devices, Mailboxes or Bespoke objects
In the example below, Application links are added to Devices. The same process can be used for Devices, Mailboxes or Bespoke Objects. Generally Links are created automatically using connectors to (for example) SCCM, SNOW, NextThink etc. The information below shows how to do this process manually using the context menu.
Select the Devices that need to be updated. Right click for the context menu and select "Link Applications..."
- Search for the Application to be liked to each Device
- Select the Application from the Grid
- Click Create Links
After clicking Create Links, a link between each Device and that application will be created.
The "Create Links" button has a number of additional options depending upon whether Devices, Mailboxes and Bespoke items are enabled in ManagementStudio. This is discussed in the Complex Links section below.
Adding Complex Link information between Applications, Devices, Mailboxes and Bespoke items
Sometimes it is necessary to manually create a link chain between more than one item. For example:
LONPC001 as application Adobe Acrobat installed for John Smith
In this example;
- Select the device LONPC001 from the main Devices grid. Right click for the context menu and select: "Add Links\To Applications"
- When the Applications chooser appears, search for Adobe Acrobat, select the correct version. Now click on the down arrow on the Create Links button (see step 3 above)
- Select Additional Links to User Migrations
- The User Migration chooser will now appear. Select the User Migration or Migrations that need to be linked to the Device->App->User relationship
- Click Create Links
If you require further support, please visit ManagementStudio's Service Desk at https://support.migrationstudio.com/ to search the knowledge base or create a new support ticket.